Katy, who writes one of my favorite blogs, the Non-Consumer Advocate, posted recently about 5 things that make her happy. But that’s not enough for her, no way. She felt the need to temper it with 2 things that tick her off.
And I love it.
I love it so much that I may have to make it a regular feature here at 1SentenceDiary. These are just the first 5 things that come to mind, today.
5 Things That Make Me Happy Today:
- Monkey (as my daughter is known around here) made her own Halloween costume, and it is adorable! She designed it herself, and we all had a great time helping her to create it (though she did most of that as well).
- The weather is supposed to be decent around here for Halloween. The holiday is so much more fun when the weather cooperates.
- I had breakfast this morning with an old, no, I mean a long-time friend. Her life is extremely challenging at the moment, so I was extra-glad to get to spend some time with her. But the truth is, I’m always glad to see her, under any circumstances.
- Tiger (as my boyfriend is known around here). No more needs to be said. Tiger makes me happy.
- Craft projects with the kids. Today’s project, at my daughter’s insistence, was candles. Watching the kids working together, dipping wicks into melted wax. Priceless.
[If you want to see more photos of the costume or the candle-making, head on over to my Facebook page.]
And now, for balance, 2 things that annoy me:
- Cleaning up after craft projects with the kids. Although they help, it’s still a lot of work.
- Wondering what in the world we are going to do with all those candles…
So now it’s your turn. What are your 5 / 2 things?
1. Today’s beautiful weather (so I can hang the laundry on the line)
2. The smell of bread in the oven
3. My daughters independence
4. The veggies are still growing in the cold frame
5. Free time to do whatever I want to do
1. I can’t think of a costume for tonight (so I may have to rip off Monkey’s idea!)
2. The dozens of wasps that have invaded my home today.
Oh Molly! I hope everything worked out well with the wasps. Well, I mean, I hope they worked out well for YOU and not for the wasps!
Today I took a 2-mile walk in the brisk air and it was so wonderful. I am thankful for the sunny (though cold) weather today.
1. Time alone with a great book.
2. Watching my daughter play softball with all her incredible intensity.
3. Playing with my cats.
4. Sleeping soundly in my own bed.
5. Thanksgiving at my house.
1. People who beep the horn and give you the finger when they can’t see what you see since they’re in back of you. . .can you tell I live in NJ?
2. The pain in my shoulder.
Oh, I thought that we, here in Boston, had the monopoly on horn-honking. People here honk for just about anything — I guess maybe it’s something that afflicts the entire East Coast! Where I grew up (in Portland) you would only honk if there was actually an emergency-type situation in order to draw attention to it. I’ve been in Boston nearly 25 years and I still can’t get used to the honking.
1) Got to sleep in an hour later this a.m. because my son had a dermatologist appointment.
2) Time spent with just me and aforementioned son enroute to/from aforementioned appointment – he’s a great kid and we don’t get enough one-on-one time.
3) Snuggling under warm blankets.
4) Working on (crafting) Christmas gifts for those I love – I think loving thoughts of them while working and I always feel so much more appreciative of them as a result.
5) Brushing my dogs – the little hedonists love it and it shows.
1) People who leave their carts loose in parking lots rather than returning them to the cart corrals.
2) The grumpy old guy who cussed me out when I very nicely asked him to please return his cart to the cart corral.
Tammy, I agree, that precious one-on-one time with a kid is so special. And I love the fact that even a trip to the doctor can be precious time. I took my 11-year-old daughter out of school a bit earlier than strictly necessary last week so we could have lunch together on the way to her annual check up. Well worth it, IMHO.
love your daughter’s halloween costume!
5 things that make me happy:
1. my daughter’s smile
2. a quiet house on tuesday nights, giving me time alone to watch glee
3. cooking and baking
4. discovering new music or a new author
2 things that do not make me happy:
1. my job
2. finding a dirty dish in the sink 5 minutes after i just finished loading the dishwasher and turning it on
I had to laugh at your final point — I HATE that too! Why is it that the minute the dishwasher is turned on, dirty dishes materialize in the sink? It’s kind of like the well-known missing-sock-mystery.
Great lists everyone! I’ll have to add mine.
Five Things that Made Me Happy today:
1. Deciding not to put up the ginormous tree, settling for a smaller one the former owners of our house left behind and realizing that it, too, is beautiful (and FAR less stressful to put up)
2. Watching a movie with the boys
3. My neurotic dog’s soft ears
4. Finding a close parking spot everywhere I shopped today
5. Figuring out the perfect “gift” for my best friend (I’ll blog about it after she gets it!)
And two things that tick me off:
1. Redbox movies that don’t play correctly no matter how many times you clean them (Grrrrr…)
2. How my ex (who does
very littlenext-to-nothing to help me raise our children) gets to swoop in like some kind of ridiculous Daddy-hero and take them to the movies today when he hasn’t seen them since June. (petty of me, I know, but it still ticks me off).